At Cefas we are committed to providing high quality science and services. This commitment is underpinned by our internal quality policy and a range of accreditations and certificates of quality.
This means that as our customer, you can be reassured that our reputation for high quality is built upon proven accreditation. In other words, you can feel confident that our business and science processes are of the highest standard, and that any work we do will carry with it the appropriate mark of quality.
Where required or appropriate, all our supporting activities are governed by standard operating procedures and desk instructions to ensure continuity in the work we deliver and the advice we provide.
We maintain our accredited laboratory status and certification in the following areas:
- ISO 17020 A UKAS Accredited Inspection Body
- ISO 17025 A UKAS Accredited Testing Laboratory
- ISO 14001 Certification of our Environmental Management System
- ISO 9001 Certification of our Business Management systems
- OHSAS 18001 Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems
- Good Laboratory Practice Regulations 1999
- Good Manufacturing Practice
Where the above accreditations are not relevant, our services are quality assured using external testing schemes. These include:
- BEQUALM: set quality standards for a wide range of biological effects techniques
- NMBAQC: assessment of marine biological data contributing to national or European monitoring programmes
- Quasimeme: open to scientists worldwide who conduct chemical measurements, and organisations that provide analysis for statutory monitoring programmes.
We also are the designated laboratory for:
- OIE (The World Organisation for Animal Health) reference laboratory for Crayfish plague, Koi Herpesvirus (KHV), Spring Viraemia of Carp (SVC)
- OIE (The World Organisation for Animal Health) Collaborating Centre for aquatic animal diseases
- European and National Reference laboratory for Viral and bacterial contamination of bivalve molluscs and crustacean diseases
- National Reference laboratory for finfish and shellfish disease and Anisakis
We are committed to the continual improvement of our science, and our research work complies with the Joint Code of Practice for Research.
If you have any questions about any of these accreditations or quality standards, please contact our team of experts.