SPRING VIRAEMIA OF CARP IN DENMARK IN JUNE AND JULY 2003, IN IMPORTED KOI CARP
Extract from the monthly reports of Denmark for June and July 2003, and additional information received on 16 December 2003 from Dr Preben Willeberg, Chief Veterinary Officer, Danish Veterinary and Food Administration, Søborg:
Report date : 16 December 2003.
Nature of diagnosis: laboratory.
Date of initial detection of animal health incident : 26 June 2003.
Estimated date of first infection: 3 June 2003.
Location: Aarhus (Århus) County
No. of outbreaks: 1
No. of animals: 440 susceptible and destroyed
Location: Copenhagen (Københaven) County
No. of outbreaks: 1
No. of animals: 450 susceptible and destroyed
Description of affected population : koi carp( Cyprinus carpio )imported by two ornamental fish retailers for resale for release in garden ponds.
A. Laboratory where diagnosis was made: Danish Veterinary Institute (Aarhus).
B. Diagnostic tests used: cultivation on EPC(1) cells followed by virus neutralisation.
A. Source of agent / origin of infection: imported fish. The two establishments where the outbreaks of spring viraemia of carp (SVC) occurred had imported the consignment together. The consignment was divided immediately after arrival in Denmark and SVC was subsequently diagnosed in both establishments.
B. Other epidemiological details:
- Outbreak in Aarhus County : The koi carp were imported by the two ornamental fish retailers on 3 June 2003. The imported koi carp at the establishment in Aarhus County showed increased mortality on 12 June 2003, and 5 koi carp were therefore examined at the Danish Veterinary Institute. On 26 June 2003, the Danish Veterinary Institute diagnosed SVC in 3 of the examined koi carp. All fish in the batch at the establishment were subsequently killed and destroyed, and the facilities were disinfected after depopulation. Fish on the infected establishment that had been in contact with the SVC-infected koi carp were examined at the Danish Veterinary Institute.
- Outbreak in Copenhagen County : The SVC-infected establishment in Aarhus County had imported the koi carp batch together with another ornamental fish retailer, who has an establishment in Copenhagen County. On 23 July 2003, the Danish Veterinary Institute diagnosed SVC at the premises of the ornamental fish retailer in Copenhagen County. All fish in the batch at the establishment in Copenhagen County were subsequently killed and destroyed, and the facilities were disinfected after depopulation. Fish on the infected establishment that had been in contact with the SVC-infected koi carp were examined at the Danish Veterinary Institute.
Until 2002, Denmark was regarded as free from SVC. However, in 2002 and 2003, SVC was isolated from ornamental koi carp imported by ornamental fish retailers who, at the time of diagnosis, had already sold fish for release in garden ponds. Denmark is therefore not regarded as free from SVC, although it is unlikely that infected koi carp have been released into natural watercourses.
- The infected consignment of koi carp was destroyed.
- The two establishments were disinfected after depopulation.
- The epidemiological contacts were investigated.
(1) EPC: epithelioma papulosum cyprini.
Note by the OIE Animal Health Information Department : the monthly reports of Denmark for August, September, October and November 2003 indicate the absence of any further outbreaks of spring viraemia of carp.